Thursday, March 6, 2008

So Let's Start Off With A BANG

Woah. Preparing for a big day tomorrow (more on that, well, tomorrow) and am up fairly late when I hear a big "thud!" outside the house. By the time I'm out of my bed looking out the window, two cops were in the intersection with lights and sirens blaring, illuminating a huge cloud of dust. They continued on and I figured it was simply a chase, nothing more.

Wrong. The thud wasn't from the car bottoming out where I looked out the window, but instead from the car crashing into the tree across the street from my house. About a quarter hour after the crash I heard conversation outside and my pops said he had to show me something. The entire lower level of our house was illuminated in red and blue; the block was blanketed by cop cars.

The car had hit the curb where I saw the dust and then swerved across the road and hit our lawn. Thirty feet later it hit our lawn for the second time and caused the vehicle to fly into the air, hit the street sign, and crush into the tree across the street. The driver, drunk and going approximate 80-90mph according to the cops, was thrown from the car. She was visibly uninjured, but you never know what happens under the skin when that kind of force is involved. Look for pictures tomorrow.

Speaking of tomorrow, I'm substitute teaching in Spanish. Perhaps I should teach them "choque" which means "crash." Now, to get rid of these jitters and get some sleep. I say again, Woah.

No comments: