Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Energy Saving Tip of the Week

Ms. Margot, my blogging inspiration, passed me the mic for today's energy saving tip. She made a poignant point about global warming awareness that can be generalized across so many important social issues:
... I guess I found it funny that I (along with many of my friends) know all the words to this terrible song (Bubba Sparxxx, Ms. New Booty) yet many people don't do anything to prevent or deal with global warming...

So many of us--often times myself included--absorb so much trivial crap into our minds (think celebrities, tv shows, athletics, and gossip) that we can't/don't take the time to learn the policy views of the three presidential candidates, what's going on in Tibet, or why Darfur is more complicated than you may think. Perhaps for many that would make life depressing or dull, but at the very least we would be more engaged in the world we live.

That said, on to this week's energy saving tip: When using the dish washer turn off the heat dry function and simply let the dishes air dry. If you have an older dishwasher without this feature, simply turn off the washer after the final rinse cycle. Yes, you may get a couple extra spots and it will take longer for the dishes to dry, but it's a simple and effective change that saves energy and money on your electricity bill.

No comments: