Monday, June 16, 2008

Summer Plans

It's probably far too early to begin thinking about what I'll do during the summer while I'm teaching, but let's dream a bit. Two thoughts so far:
  • Open a "Local Foods Market." I'd be getting out of school just as local foods are readying then, by miracle of the seasons, I'd be going back to work right about the time the growing season starts to wind down (Truth be told, however, there would still be plenty of food left to harvest. I'd have to figure that out.). The market would be a way local growers could sell their products above and beyond the farmers market. As you know, I've been inspired to grow and eat local foods, so what better way to embody that than by helping others have access to local food. As Ghandi said, "Be the change you wish to see in the world."
  • Start a "Green Lawn Care" business. The service would provide lawn care for folks in a way that emits no green house gases. How?!?! The work would be done with push mowers and hand tools: no fossil fuels. If we needed something that runs off electricity it could powered by solar chargers. Furthermore, we'd travel around town by bicycle so as to eliminate fossil fuel use. As people become more aware of their carbon footprint, here would be an option to reduce their impact.
Or I could sit around, play golf, travel, or generally play... it's a good thing I'm weighing my options early.

2 comments:

DanasGlobalTravel said...

Both are excellent ideas....don't get me wrong. I just have one question regarding logistics. The Green Lawn Care company with the push mowers and commute by bike...will you attach the push mower to a little red wagon on the back of the bike? Most lawn care companies come with large trucks filled with tools, mowers etc. Will you be bringing all of this by bike, because although I don't doubt your abilities...pulling everything that fits in a truck bed behind your bike seems like quite the undertaking....

Oregoncornhusker said...

Thanks for the "excellent ideas" props, I felt good. But then my legs felt dissed. ;)

We won't be bringing all the pesticides or heavy mowers and machines (blowers, trimmers, etc) so the load won't be overwhelming. Hooray!