Thursday, June 12, 2008

Bike Ride

This morning I woke up bright and early to join three other guys for a ride. After a few days of ugliness, the new day welcomed us with sun and 70 degree weather. I rode today not just for the exercise, but because the guy who got me into racing is moving and this was our last chance to ride together.

Anyhow, these guys are studs (former semi-pro, current semi-pro, and college distance runner)... and I haven't been on the bike for more than a month. I caught a beat down early and often. We warmed up with ten miles and I was already sweating. Then time for interval training: 2.5 miles on (sprinting), 2.5 miles off. I felt like I was going to puke/vomit/upchuck/ralph-gurgitate (all your favorite synonym in comments).

After the intervals we rode another ten or twelve miles. That part was easy until they kept riding faster and faster as we neared the end of the ride. Finally they dropped me and I shamefully rolled in after them. As they chatted it up I laid on the ground feeling (insert favorite synonym here).

And that is how I started my day.

No comments: