Thursday, May 8, 2008

John McCain Event

A couple days ago when I was at Wake Forest University I attended a McCain rally where he talked about his view of the modern judicial system and what he would do as president to change things. It was pretty standard, boilerplate Republican talking points: judicial activism is rampant, judges are out of control and legislate from the bench, there is no accountability for judges, Democrats are obstructionists especially when it comes to judicial appointments. Yawn, I've heard all that BS before.

This was the first time I've seen him in person and you know what my takeaway was? He doesn't bend his arms. Shaking hands, giving awkward hugs, motioning during speeches, he does it all with straight arms. He looks like a living cartoon.

Jessica, who I'm staying with at Elon, just chimed in, "I'm more afraid of those people who can't extend their arms."

Touche.

UPDATE: Apparently he doesn't have full range of motion in his arms as a result of the torture he received during the Vietnam War. That means the observation is valid (it really was distracting) but the "cartoon" comment was inappropriate. My apologies.

That said, I'm bracing myself for Republicans to say "Vote for John McCain because he's the 'real' patriot because he was tortured in Vietnam." Mark my words. This is a laughable. His torture has nothing to do with policy. If anything, it should make him even more adamantly against torture, but as his actions have shown, he compromised his anti-torture values and voted against legislation banning torture.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

He can't bend his arms or lift them very high because he was severely tortured in Vietnam during the war. He has permanent damage to his arms, partiuclarly to his shoulders.

Harley said...

John McCain is like George Bush: The Second Coming.

RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!