Thursday, August 21, 2008

WTF Olympics?

I'm not one to complain about the Olympics. In general it's utterly and completely awesome; an awe-inspiring display of human specimens doing incredible things. Today, however, I turned on the TV (obviously I didn't have to change the channel because it's always on NBC during the Olympics) and on came Women's Competitive Dance Jump Roping (I don't know what they call it). There wasn't much jump roping, actually, but mostly jump rope throwing, twirling, and person-cradling-using-a-jump-rope. It was more like a Vegas show rather than an Olympic event. Not as bad, I guess, as when there was Solo Synchronized Swimming. I kid you not.

UPDATE: Wow. Swallowing my words right now. I just watched another bit of Rhythmic Gymnastics (that's what it's called) and it was unreal. Picture this: One girl throws a hula hoop about 25 feet into the air, another girl does a front handspring, as she rolls out of that handspring she chest bumps the hula hoop back into the air another 25 feet into another flipping girl's hands. Wow.

No comments: