Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Sweaty Pits

Last night I read the latest issue of Time magazine an came across two articles of interest. The first (perspiration... errr, inspiration for this post) is about sweat and antiperspirants. Basic premise: Antiperspirants work because they plug your sweat glands with an aluminum-based compound, people are using stronger and stronger antiperspirants, therefore people are putting more aluminum into their body. Question: Is this a bad thing?

According to the article, research indicates there is no connection between the use of antiperspirants and cancer or Alzheimer's disease... but color me skeptical. Seventy years ago they didn't think smoking was bad for you and look how that turned out.

Anyhow, don't be scurred... just aware.

2 comments:

margot said...

what was the second article of interest?

Anonymous said...

This is a daily struggle for me - I use antiperspirant instead of deodorant because, well, I'm a sweater. I hate feeling sweaty when I'm working, and I hate smelling bad. I also know that I'm basically just shoving aluminum down my pores. I may just have to suck it up and just be a little smelly!