Saturday, August 9, 2008

Lin Hao

I missed the opening ceremony of the Olympics last night, but caught a recap this morning. They highlighted a nine-year-old Chinese boy who was leading the Chinese team into the stadium along side 7'6" Yao Ming.


Apparently he was given this honor because of heroics he displayed when his school was destroyed during the earthquake a few weeks ago. After his school collapsed he helped one of his peers out of the rubble. Instead of staying away he risked his life by returning to the school and dragging a second student to safety. Why? In his words:
I am a hall monitor. It's my job.
It made my eyes water.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thats a great story!

As much as I love the Olympics, and I understand its need to be apolitical, I couldn't bring myself to watch the opening ceremonies. I have been tuning in to some of my favorite events (biking, swimming, and beach volleyball) but I must say that out of personal principle I think I'll stay minimally involved with this particular Olympics.

Oregoncornhusker said...

Is it anti-China sentiment that is fueling the semi-boycott? Something else?

margot said...

cutest little bugger ever.

Oregoncornhusker said...

Margeeeezy: Did you just say bugger?