Saturday, July 26, 2008

Most Amazing Golf Ever

Yesterday I played the third round of a little tournament at the local club and it was phenomenal. It's a long story that gets weirder and weirder as it goes. Enjoy in bullet form:

*I was playing a guy named Mel and I had to give four strokes.
*On the third hole we were tied. He hit his ball on the side of a hill with two foot long grass and his ball went all the way to the dirt. He proceeded to get up and down for par and we stayed tied.
*On the sixth hole hit his ball right next to the creek, within the hazard, but made bogey. I also made bogey after missing a one foot putt. On the next tee he assessed himself a penalty stroke so I won the hole anyway. He had won the fourth hole, so now we were tied again.
*On the ninth hole we had to consult the rule book, the first time I've done that in years. He was out of bounds and I won the hole with a birdie.
*The 11th hole I hit the best drive I've ever hit there, but after a three putt it was a par. I'm still one up.
*After failing to get up and down on 12 and 13, I was one down.
*14th hole I birdied and the match was tied.

Here's where it gets weird.

*
15th hole: I added yards to the total distance rather than subtract--something I've never done--and hit the ball over the green. After the chip I was walking to the green and while tapping my putter on the ground the club head broke off. Clean off. We consulted the rule book again (second time in one round!?!?) and got an interpretation from the club pro. Turns out I couldn't replace it and had to putt with another club. I lost 15 and was 1 down with three holes to go.
*16th hole: Long par 5 and I bombed my drive but a little right. My ball was in the junk, but I hit a good 6 iron on the fringe and made the putt with my sandwedge for eagle. I won the hole and we were even.
*17th hole I won with a par. I'm one up.
*18th hole I hit a terrible approach, but a great bunker shot to a foot and a half. Putting with my sandwedge... I missed. He parred so it was on to extra holes.
*First extra hole: We both drove the green and made birdies.
*Second extra hole: It's a par 5 and I had to give him another stroke. I hit my drive 350 yards and stuck my 9 iron to eight feet. He missed his birdie putt and then I made my 8 footer, again with my sandwedge, for the win... or so I thought.

This morning I received a call from the club pro who said that yesterday my handicap updated and changed from +.28 to +.5 which meant I had to give the guy an extra stroke. After looking at the card it turns out the meant he won the 5th hole and thus the match. Unbelievable, weird, and a little questionable. Still, the most amazing and weird rounds of golf I have ever been involved with.

UPDATE (Tuesday the 29th): I just received a phone call from the course pro and he said I actually won the match due to a couple rules that he found out about after calling the United States Golf Association. We're going national baby!!!!

No comments: