Wednesday, July 16, 2008

The Bike!

All you loyal readers know I've been building a bike. The goal was to build a bullhorn style bicycle cheaply, under $50 if possible. I started with a donated frame which I painted. Since then I collected a set of free wheels, a crank, and brake levers, but then construction ground to a halt... until today!

I took all my components down to the bike shop where I know the mechanic and we went to work. After a tire, chain, derailure, shifter, brakes, housing, wheel true, seat post tightener, handlebar tape, and peddles, the bike is fully operational and looks great!!!!

The good news is that it is a super comfortable ride and turned out looking fantastic. The bad news is that I went wildly over budget:

Painting: $20
Bottom Bracket: $18
Today's costs: $118

Total: $156

I thoroughly busted my idealistic budget, but I learned a lot (especially from today's session) and have a great commuter bike. I hope you all like it!

A HUGE thanks to Whit, the mechanic down at The Mountain Works. He gave me a great deal on parts and labor and let me hang around and learn a bit about his trade. If you're a La Grande local or passing through I highly recommend their shop!

5 comments:

G said...

That is awesome. Build me a bike and I will buy it!

Oregoncornhusker said...

This I will consider.

Josh said...

this is a beauty! I'm jealous. I've been riding an old Raleigh around Boston that is crying out to be shown some love and turned into a sweet single speed. We'll see. I'll be in LG next after next weekend.

Oregoncornhusker said...

Thank you sir! It's a pleasure to ride, especially compared to me old ORC3 aluminum frame that rattled me apart around town. Perhaps we should do some work on your bike when you're in town. I'm no expert, but with our powers combined perhaps we are!

Oregoncornhusker said...

PS That might be the weekend of the alumni soccer game. Bring your boots and play!