Sunday, February 1, 2009

New Zealand

Nearly everyone with any outdoorsman in their blood seems to crave a trip to New Zealand. Making the mix even sweeter, The Lord of the Rings makes New Zealand look like heaven, it's a big lure to my fishness (wow). An older friend of mine is currently traveling down there with his family and he described New Zealand like this:
For those of you in the US who yearn for a life style that has vanished from the US, New Zealand is the place to be. Roads are not congested, the land is open and not covered with housing developments, and the people are easy going and modest.

That perfectly describes the place I want to live: a community with fewer vehicles that eschews sprawling housing developments in favor of more dense townships. Throw in a little gardening and New Zealand is my heaven.

Take a look, this place is heaven on earth:

*Thanks to Ted Szukalski for the photograph.

5 comments:

Keough said...

My plan after grad school:

1. Apply for Fulbright Scholarship for New Zealand--the landscape architecture MA program at University of Wellington, to be exact.

2. Get the scholarship.

3. Live the dream.

You can visit. Haha.

Unknown said...

I've been getting Eric's emails/photos too... Did you see the dolphin one?!?! I've actually got a meeting with someone this afternoon to talk about going to school next year in Wellington..boo ya.

Oregoncornhusker said...

Jessica, That sounds fantastic. I have a friend down there now biking around. I've wanted to do the biking thing around the UK, but perhaps it should be in New Zealand. Food for my thought.

Micah, Eric's emails are what inspired this post and that quote is actually from one of those emails. Keep me up to date on that revelation, that would be rad.

Hil said...

you would absolutely ADORE New Zealand and never return. I promise you that.

Oregoncornhusker said...

Oye, yet another endorsement!