Monday, November 10, 2008

Squirrels, Squirrels, Oh My

This morning I went into the room where I keep my work clothes and noticed some movement on the floor. It was a bit startling, but I soon realized it was just a cute baby squirrel. I got my dad and we headed upstairs armed with a fishing net and gloves. We cornered the little fella and made a move, but he scampered into... wait for it... the refrigerator duct. Into that abyss he disappeared. My dad and his friend Ralph just set a trap including some delicious nuts to lure him in. Don't worry animal lovers, it's designed to keep him alive.

This reminds me of the time my friend Travis told me that Washington, DC has weird mutant squirrels that, rather than a smooth brown, are nearly black. Black squirrels!!!! Unnerving.

These, however, are not the only squirrel stories to share. Last night while sitting upstairs using the computer I heard thunderous commotion from the roof. It sounded as if two squirrels had fallen out of the tree and commenced World War III. Maybe they were black, impostor squirrels beating up our cute local browns.

HOLY SHIT. As I finished this post I saw a squirrel jump off our roof onto the driveway below. Am I in a Hitchcock film?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I first moved to DC I was like damn! Even the squirrels are black! Now i've come to embrace the critters. And my neighbors.