Saturday, November 22, 2008

Name That Country, Part II

I've found the "Name as many countries as you can in five minutes" immensely satisfying and worthy of another mention. Since my first attempt of 69 countries, I have incrementally improved with 85, 92, and finally 101. My dad, who reads maps at night, got 90 on his first try. Impressive! After the quiz you are able to see how often each country is correctly identified, which provides a fascinating glimpse into where people focus their attention. This may be a fun tool to use in the classroom, although I'm not sure if the five minute time limit is helpful other than to create a bit of competition.

If you haven't already, go check it out and see how you do. Leave your score in comments (anonymously if you aren't happy with your results!). It only takes five minutes!

2 comments:

Chris Chambers said...

I got 58. I'm surprised 57 is the average. I just went in a circle around China and then started picking countries where US forces had been engaged in the 20th century. I figure the average person isn't as knowledgible about what's around China or where the US has been involved as me.

I would have 65 if I could spell a few of the more bastard countries, but I gave up 7 times.

Uzbeckistan, Uraguay, Paraguay, Equador, Butan (which I know is fucking spelled correctly and AFAIK it's soverign), Azerbaijan, Jamaica.

Oregoncornhusker said...

I like hearing the different strategies. My dad moves around the map and names countries. I start with the Americas, jump to southern Africa and move north into Europe then east.

Good call on the 20th century engagements, there's been quite a few.