Sunday, November 30, 2008

Last Mention... I Think

I almost promise this will be the last time I mention the "Name as many countries as you can in five minutes" website, but one more thought came to mind. Since my first attempt, I've actually spent time studying maps in order to score higher... and it's worked. As of my last try I named 128. More importantly, I can honestly say the world map in my mind's eye is more complete and accurate. I mention this in relation to teaching: If I can find ways to motivate my students just as this mini competition has motivated me, then I will be a good teacher. It's been fantastic to be both the teacher and the student on this country-naming project as it has highlighted the importance of intrinsic motivation.

Plus, I learned a few new countries. Who knew Comoros, Nauru, and Kiribati are countries?

1 comment:

Serena said...

I knew Kiribati. We have a Volunteer here who was a Volunteer there for three months before the program shut down.