Tuesday, January 13, 2009

No More Bush. Amen.

Yesterday, George W(!)Bush held his final press conference. Hallelujah! I didn't watch the tape, but apparently he appeared to show some understanding as to the extent he fucked up. No, really, he fucked up. It's easy for people's anger to subside once someone is gone, but it's been a long time (and perhaps unprecedented to this extent) since a president has taken the United States this far backwards. That being said, Kevin put it perfectly when he said let's not forgive and forget too quick, if not for any other reason than avoiding the election of morons like Bush in the future. The excerpt:

I haven't yet watched the press conference myself, so all I can say is: I sure hope Fallows is wrong. It's human nature, of course, for anger over a botched job to recede with time, and perhaps it's also true that anger naturally morphs into other, more complex emotions anyway. How many people today are really angry at Herbert Hoover?

Still, I sure hope that the public doesn't forgive Bush for a very, very long time. To this day I don't understand how such a manifestly unqualified candidate got either nominated or elected in the first place, and the damage this man-child has done to the country during his eight years in office is hard to even put into words. If Barack Obama is lucky, he might — might — by 2016 be able to get us back to where we were in 2000. The last eight years have taken us backward by almost every metric that matters, and as he heads off to Texas, hopefully never to be heard from again, Bush will go down in history as one of the very few presidents to have left the country in demonstrably worse shape than when he got it. It's an elite group indeed.

4 comments:

sp said...

this is completely unrelated but i had to watch this for a tutoring thing and i thought you might find it interesting. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIv9rz2NTUk

(unless you already knew it)

Oregoncornhusker said...

sp, I watched the video and am intrigued. After doing some reading I'm going to run it by one of my professors and get his thoughts. Thanks!

sp said...

lemme know what you guys decide :) obviously i have no teaching background, but it makes a lot of sense to me. pun intended.

(oh yeah, its sarah p from corvallis, in case you didnt know)

Oregoncornhusker said...

I did know! My detective skills are fantastic. :)